The emergence of accessible online gambling transformed the land-based casino industry, and now the online gambling market has grown to generate record-breaking revenue. While countries such as the United States of America, Italy, France and Macau typically spring to mind when discussing gambling markets, it is in fact the German gambling market that has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, especially in terms of online gambling and iGaming. Let’s take a closer look at some of the factors behind the online gambling boom and what it could mean for gamers based in Germany:
The German Online Gambling Boom
With the continuing emergence of new online gambling markets around the world, one national market, in particular, stands out from the crowd when it comes to exponential growth. The German online gambling industry has made unparalleled progress in recent years and is predicted to generate revenue of €3.3 billion by 2024, a huge increase from the €2.2 billion generated in 2019. In Germany, gaming machines act as the most popular section of the market (accounting for 42% of the total revenue), with the most growth occurring in the online casino and sports betting markets – these saw respective growth rates of 10.6% and 18.6% between 2018 and 2019.
Why is the German Market Growing?
Despite a decline in 2020 owing to the disruptive effects of the COVID pandemic, online gambling continues to grow more than ever. Possible factors to take into consideration when discussing the reasons for growth include the positive correlation between people spending more time at home and the closure of regular gambling venues, bookmakers and sporting events during the lockdowns. Another important factor is the signing of the 2021 Interstate Treaty on Gambling, which revolutionalized the strict regulation of online gambling in the country. Check out three effects that the passing of the 2021 Interstate Treaty on Gambling has had on the German market:
- More Responsible Gaming: Operators are now obliged to encourage responsible gambling behaviors by featuring mandatory self-exclusion or ‘cool down’ services.
- More Control Over Gameplay: Under the new regulations, certain elements of gameplay (such as auto-play, live betting, stake values and table placing) are strictly controlled.
- More Scrutiny of Operators: According to the new guidelines, iGaming operators must have a registered office in either the EEA or EU and gambling advertising is not permitted between 6 am and 9 pm. Operators must also be fully licensed in accordance with the new legislation.
The Biggest Online Casinos in Germany
Whatever the reasons may be for the boom, casino gamers based in Germany really are spoilt for choice when it comes to accessing the latest and greatest iGaming platforms. There are countless quality casino brands that accept German players, with many online casinos in Germany proving popular with players on the worldwide stage and featuring premium game titles from industry-leading providers. Let’s take a closer look at a selection of 5 of the most popular online casino platforms currently operating in the German market:
- LeoVegas Casino: LeoVegas is a multi-award-winning online casino platform that has been in business since way back in 2011 and is popular with German gamers. Boasting an immense selection of top casino games (including more than 1000 online slot machines) from heavy-hitting providers such as Microgaming, Playtech, Betsoft, Genesis and Play’N GO, the site is also home to a dedicated sportsbook. New signees to the LeoVegas Casino platform could currently receive a juicy welcome deposit bonus of up to 100.00 plus 60 free spins for the smash-hit slot title Book of Dead.
- Jet Casino: First launched in 2020, Jet Casino is another top iGaming platform that has proven especially popular with gamers based in Deutschland. Owing to its extensive library of games from influential developers such as Amusnet Interactive, Amatic Industries, Playson and Pragmatic Play, the Jet Casino site is one of the most visited online casinos in the country. Jet enables quick and easy payments and withdrawals using flexible methods including Visa, Skrill, Trustly and Mastercard.
- Vulkan Vegas Casino: If you’re a discerning casino gamer based in Germany, Vulkan Vegas is a platform to keep your eyes peeled for. Home to an incredible range of games including progressive jackpot games, live casino games, blackjack, baccarat, bingo, slots, roulette and video poker, there’s something to suit every taste at this reliable iGaming site. Providing round-the-clock customer support and secure payment processing, Vulkan Vegas comes highly recommended for good reason.
- SilverPlay Casino: Launched in 2021, SilverPlay Casino is a relatively new online gaming site where discerning German gamers can enjoy a selection of over 2000 live games, jackpot games and casino classics including slots, roulette, blackjack and video poker – there is even a dedicated sports betting service available. The site currently offers new users a generous welcome deposit bonus to be spread across their first four wagers, and is accessible in both English and German language versions.
- PlayZilla Casino: PlayZilla is another popular German platform that houses an impressive range of games from 45 industry-leading providers including Evolution Gaming, NetEnt and Quickspin. Whether you’re looking to get in on the action with jackpots, slots, card games or classic casino table games, the PlayZilla Casino site has got you covered. The platform currently offers new members a monstrous welcome deposit bonus when they get on board, as well as a whopping 200 free spins to play with on the reels.
The Biggest Sportsbook Betting Sites in Germany
The COVID pandemic had a devastating and unprecedented impact on the sports betting industry, and now it is even said that sports gambling has become such an integral part of German football culture that it has become problematic in terms of both irresponsible gambling behaviors and its influence on coverage of the beautiful game itself. Despite the fact that sports betting and its associated harms have always been controversial, there’s no denying that the German sportsbook and gaming industry has undergone a transformation in recent months. Never before have punters based in the country had such wide access to such a varied selection of reputable and legal online sports betting platforms. Let’s check out three of the best sports iGaming sites currently serving gamblers based in Deutschland:
- Neo.Bet: First established in 2018, Neo.Bet is a dedicated e-sports and sportsbook betting site that offers some of the most competitive odds available to players in the country. Having gained SSL certification and a license from the Malta Gambling Authority, Neo.Bet is a little-known yet trustworthy platform that is reliably used by sportsbook gamblers all over Germany.
- 888 Sport: As an online casino and sportsbook operator, the 888 group has been in the game since way back in 1997. 888 Sport is their dedicated sportsbook, which provides competitive odds on a diverse range of markets including football, basketball, tennis, boxing, cricket, WWE, MMA and motorsports. The platform also offers its punters a selection of tasty bonuses from the moment they make their first deposit with the 888 Sport site.
- Betway: Betway is a mobile-friendly online sportsbook that has been doing the rounds since 2006. Licensed by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission and SSL-encrypted, German players can place real money wagers with Betway and rest safe in the knowledge that their data and playing funds are safe and secure. Sports betting markets available at the site include golf, baseball, snooker, cricket, American football and UFC.